Saturday, January 28, 2012

MIST ON MY FACE


      The feeling of wind in my hair and drops of water on my face take a different feeling when one is out there at sea. The best thing out in the open waters is even if the Sun is shining bright on your face tanning it a lot, even the mild breeze can give you the comfort. Its been about a year since I felt that salty mist on my lips as I moved inland from the shores but whenever a view of the unfurled sails beating to the wind and the hull jumping over the waves comes across my heart gallops. Why this nostalgic feeling now I ask myself and the reason is the news of a 16 yr old Dutch girl circumnavigating the world on a yacht in one year. Bound in the daily jobs and stuck so far away from the sea makes me yearn for them. Any person who’s been too close to the sea knows that the sea breeze eats into the metals as much it gets into our system. Being on the high seas for over seven years the bonding is bound to get tighter. Not all can take the beating of the waves and the winds in their lives but those who do, they hardly try to get away. Since the day of this addiction to the sea, the thought of owning a yacht or a boat has been a major part of the retirement planning, although owning it and using it surely is going to be a costly affair and all the planning has to be around it. The one thought that crosses my mind most of the times is what’s a seafarer’s life if its away from the glistening waves and misty breeze, but then a sojourn every half year or yearly may give the much needed impetus to keep life balanced and rejuvenated. I dream of yachting in the Mediterranean, sailing in the regattas be it in Mumbai or Sydney or maybe circumnavigating the world albeit not alone, spending lonely days out at sea would be too boring (and scary). As I watch the participants of sailing checking the ropes, tightening the sail props, oiling the rollers onboard preparing for the race my mind settles in a calmness that we sometimes see on the surface of the seas the calmness that later turns into a rush of waves giving a spurt of misty spray on the face. 
I need to get back to my dreaming session with the images of the colorful yachts with their sails opened up lapping all the wind into it and pitching upon the waves of the open blue sea heading into the horizon where one cannot differentiate between the sky and the sea

No comments: